The Life of a Character

Now, I was never a character nor did I want to be. Most of this is opinions and some truth from friends who were characters. So I'm not claiming to know everything about it. Ok, that's the end of covering my butt just in case someone says something about this post. I do know that there are 2 types: face characters and costume characters. Then they have performers who are usually a different type of character all together and make a lot more money. A face character is one that doesn't have a character head or costume on. It's usually a prince or princess. Disney is pretty critical on those people who audition for those characters. You have to be drop dead gorgeous or really good looking to get it. And you gotta be able to wave in that really weird way on parade floats (I'm sure you've seen it). Oh and don't think that they make a lot of money cause they don't. I mean, it's higher than minimum wage but not too much more.
I think most people who think about working at Disney want to be a character. It's not as easy and fun as you might think. Every time I tell people I used to work at Disney World they ask if I was a character. Not only do I say no, I say hell no! It's just about as hot if not hotter than it is in Louisiana. Can you imagine being in a costume that is furry and has a big head on it? Then top it off have some bratty kid pulling on you or hitting you? I always felt so bad for the characters. More power to them cause I could never do it. I would be afraid I would throw a kid across the park. I have no patience for kids (except mine, I guess). At least if you're a costume character you can talk shit to the kids under your head cause they can't hear you. I also wondered if when they are taking a picture if they smile under the head even though they can't see you. I would find it hard not to smile since most of the time you'll smile when taking a picture. Some of the characters that are in the parades get to have air conditioned costumes since they are walking in a parade for over an hour.

Me and Sam with Donald circa 2007 (my friend Raychelle)
So, if possible please try and control your kids around the characters. They go through a lot to make children happy and/or scared (I know some kids are freaked out).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Lo-Fi" Rides - #1: Spaceship Earth

Defunct Disney: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Disney's Polynesian Resort and the Breakup of the Beatles?!